Thursday, March 15, 2007

Still cooking healthy stuff here!

So, I'll bet the few readers of this journal thought I was back to a diet of pizza, French fries and apple pie.  And gaining weight like crazy.  Otherwise, why would I neglect this little bit of cyberspace, right?

Nope, I'm still keeping only the right things in the house to eat, still buying no-salt-added canned tomatoes (and other veggies) and making things from scratch.  Cliff and I get an overdose of sodium on our Tuesday visits to Subway (hooray for Tuesday), but we're so good the rest of the time, that indiscretion is surely canceled out.  I haven't had a French fry in months.  Although I long for Kentucky Fried Chicken, I made a vow with myself over two years ago that I would not partake of the Colonel's delights unless I got down to 145 pounds.  I do have the occasional dalliance with Pizza Hut pizza, simply because life without pizza isn't life at all.

I have not lost the five pounds I put on during the winter.  But at least I put on the weight eating healthy things.

Cliff has maintained his weight well.  The other day he was complaining that he isn't losing any more weight.  After telling him that I really don't care whether he loses more weight, I pointed out a few things that might be the cause of his problem.  For instance, he insists on eating Ritz (low-sodium) crackers with almost every tomato-based dish I make.  By the handful.  I pointed out that five crackers are 80 calories, and some days he's eating twenty crackers.  When he was done shooting the messenger who gave him this bad news, he decided to limit his intake of crackers. 

If we have our half-cup serving of ice cream, or some sugar-free pudding, Cliff feels it's necessary to have a few vanilla wafers afterward.  I guess he has the need to crunch something. 

So, if I'm such an expert, why have I gained weight?

Because although I know what I'm doing wrong.  It's just hard to stop nibbling in the evening.

Case closed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you like raw vegetables? Those little carrots or maybe radishes if you like "heat". Some crunch there.  I love those grape tomatoes but they are expensive!

Anonymous said...

I've been under a lot of stress lately and I'm afraid I am a stress eater.  I, like Cliff, need crunch too.  My daughter is reading "Thin again" and it seems to be helping her. ....... Do you use artificial sweetners?

Anonymous said...

Yes, we use artificial sweetener in our tea and on cereal.