Wednesday, August 16, 2006

poor Cliff

Cliff has gained three pounds in the past two weeks.  I knew I shouldn't have left him to his own devices while I went to the fair (actually I had plenty of healthy things here for him). 

Thank the good Lord, I'm back down to 147.  I was a bit worried, after all the fair food I ate last week.  But of course, I spent many hours at the fair walking.

My weight seemed to be creeping up lately, so I started taking two half-hour walks daily instead of just the one with Cliff.  Evidently that has turned things around.  I notice, though, that I'm getting into the habit of constantly wanting to snack, and that's what usually starts me gaining rather than losing.  It's something else I'll have to watch.

Quaker has a new instant oatmeal called Take Heart that Cliff absolutely loves.  It has all kinds of soluble fiber and added antioxidant vitamins E and C.  Sounds great, right?  But for SOME unknown reason, Quaker decided to also add some sodium.  Now, 105 mgs of sodium isn't a lot for a single serving of anything, but it shouldn't be there.  Oatmeal in its natural state has virtually no sodium (4 mg per serving).

I've tried taking regular old-fashioned oats and making them taste like the "Take Heart" oatmeal, but so far, no luck.  Cliff says it just isn't the same.  I'll keep working on it, though.

It's so frustrating to me, seeing sodium put in foods where it wouldn't even be missed if it were left out.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was watching something on FoodNetwork where they said salt just makes foods taste better because of some reaction in our palate....  Even so, adding a little salt of your own is way better than being stuck with food companies deciding how much salt you should have....

~Amy

Anonymous said...

that is a shame that they mess around with something so healthy for you by adding sodium to it

glad you are working your way back down; I'm sure Cilff will get those three pounds off now that you are back in town watching what he eats

betty