Saturday, December 23, 2006

true confessions

Cliff and I have spent a whole year staying on track with our eating habits.  Oh, we'd go off the deep end once in awhile by eating out, and eating too much:  But it all worked out, we'd get back on the straight-and-narrow, and everything was fine.

Cliff has maintained perfectly.  I, on the other hand, have gained three pounds; it might even be five by now, after yesterday's indiscretions.

I blame my weight-gain on the long, dark evenings spent sitting in my Lazy-boy, snacking on popcorn or almonds or Simply Naked Pita chips.  All of those are good choices, but they aren't meant to be eaten every day, two or three servings at a time, after supper. 

Yeah, I've been a bad girl.

Yesterday Cliff had "goodie day" at work.  That's the day everyone takes their finger foods, candies, and snacks of all kinds to work to share.  As I thought of him indulging in those "goodies" (remember, he is not the one who has gained weight) I began to feel sorry for myself.  Here it is almost Christmas, and I haven't even made my favorite brown-sugar fudge once!

So, with the granddaughters cheering me on, I made one batch of marshmallow fudge and one of brown sugar fudge.  They licked the pans for me.

Then I got out the summer sausage that was given to us by a neighbor, and started on it.  Of course, it needed some cheese to go with it.  Oh yeah.  When my daughter came for the girls, she brought me the smallest bag she could get of cheese-flavored Topsy's popcorn.  I can't believe I ate the whole thing.  Dear Lord, I'm glad she didn't get a big can of it!

What I'm saying is, my eating has been totally out of control for the first time in a year.  And to think this is how I used to eat every day!

I'm fixing the Christmas dinner today:  turkey, green rice, mashed potatoes, home-made noodles, home-made yeast rolls.  I doubt I'll be in control at suppertime.

But after today, I promise you, those extra however-many-pounds it turns out to be are history.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is because the nights are too long. I have gained some back too.