Tuesday, May 2, 2006

cookbooks and heart-healthy recipes

In one way, I was prepared to cook in heart-healthy ways.

The three most modern versions of Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (my favorite) include many, many low-fat recipes which I've used when we're on a "weight-loss kick"... and other times too, since the food is delicious!

I also have recipes gleaned from various weight-loss cookbooks, which I'll share here from time to time.

Cliff isn't a picky eater, and he loves most of the things I fix for him.  It's up to me to limit portions, so when we were dieting, I filled his plate and no seconds were allowed.

All of that turned out to be a little preview of what we're going to be doing for the rest of our lives.  I'm thankful for that.

I omit the salt called for in any recipe.

I'll be using mostly olive oil in cooking.

Fruits and vegetables are our friends!  It seems they are all low in sodium... not to mention cholesterol-free, since cholesterol only comes from animal sources.

Cliff has always had a fondness for canned pineapple, so he's getting that for dessert quite often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you got any recipes that substitute applesauce for fat?  I love all the ones you're posting.  Mrs. l