Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Excuses

It’s always fun to see weaknesses or problems that I don’t happen to have in other people. Somehow it makes one feel so superior, so much stronger, never mind that I have a whole set of weaknesses of my own.

When it comes to gaining unwanted or un-needed weight, I’ve never felt the need to make excuses. I knew I was gaining weight for the simple reason that I want to eat what I want, whenever I want. I’m undisciplined and spoiled, and I am the first to admit it.  I like immediate gratification.

Since I don’t do the "excuse" game, I find great pleasure in watching others play it.

"Oh, my blood sugar gets low and I simply have to eat or I’ll get sick."  (It isn't a diabetic saying this, by the way.)

"It’s stress! When I’m under stress, I gain weight."

"I don't lose weight on my diet, but I lose inches."

Here’s one that cracks me up, and I’ve heard two different women say it: "My doctor says the reason I’m overweight is that I don’t eat enough." Well, alrighty then; if you say so.

"I can’t eat potatoes; they make me fat."

Come on folks, do some research. The only thing that makes a person gain weight is taking in more calories than she burns, whether those calories come from a candy bar, bacon, or fresh fruit.

I know lots of people who have had great success with the Atkins diet; many of them seem to think calories don’t count. But if they were to do the research and write down calorie content of everything they eat, they’d find out it’s still about calories.  I do think it's great how well Atkins works for certain people, though.

Click here for an excellent website on calorie control.  Get educated, folks.  Throw out the excuses. 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My excuse? I overeat.