Wednesday, May 10, 2006

low-sodium breakfast

I've loved dry cereal since I was a child, and it seems to me to be the easiest way of controlling calories and fat at breakfast.  Since I've started watching sodium content, though, I found out most cereal is loaded.  A serving of Cheerios has more sodium than a serving of potato chips, for instance.  Dang it, I love Cheerios.

There are two breakfast cereals that are almost sodium-free:  Shredded wheat, and puffed wheat, either sugar-frosted and plain.  Cliff was never a big consumer of breakfast cereal, but he will eat spoon-sized shredded wheat.  However, I couldn't really picture him having it every single morning when we started this new way of eating.

Then I began keeping frozen fruit around.  Sam's Club has big bags of frozen strawberries, and also blueberries, for around $8.  Suddenly a plain old bowl of cereal is a gourmet treat!  I asked Cliff if he thought he'd tire of shredded-wheat-with-fruit for breakfast, and he said he couldn't imagine doing so.

So the only sodium in our breakfast comes from the skim milk...130 mg.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been eating light yogurt with grape nuts flakes (or sometimes the regular grape nuts) for a long time now....  I just dump the cereal in the yogurt container  :)  Good stuff....and I just checked the sodium/calories....not too bad....

~Amy

Anonymous said...

I have not looked at the cheerios box they advertise it as good for your heart? My FIL has high blood presure too. he eats alot of cheerios for breakfast.
Terrie