Friday, June 23, 2006

experimenting with oil pastry crust

I've been picking blackberries every other day for the last week from a small patch of tame berry vines we put out several years ago.  I used some of them to make a pie last weekend:  Cliff and I each had a piece, warm, with ice cream.  We sent the rest to my daughter's house so we wouldn't be tempted.

I've always made pie crust with lard or Crisco.  Neither of those is heart-healthy, so today I tried my hand at making a berry pie with an oil crust.  It's in the oven right now.  Hopefully it'll be passable, because I don't like Cliff consuming hydrogenated oils.  Or cottonseed oil.  Therefore, no Crisco.

I found the oil crust harder to handle than my old Crisco crust, and, judging by the scraps I put in the oven to test, not as flaky.  I can live with it, but I'm wondering if anyone has a good oil pastry recipe she wants to share, or tips for rolling it out successfully.  If so, let me know in a comment or an e-mail, please.

And I'm still going to have just one piece of pie, save one for Cliff when he gets home tomorrow, and send the rest home with my daughter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you could use a heart healthy 'butter spread'....??  I've not had any experience with it because I go the lazy route and buy a premade pie crust...  :)

~Amy

Anonymous said...

The less you work it the better it is. What kind of oil are you using? Some oils are lighter than others.

Anonymous said...

Blackberrie pie sounds good
Terrie