Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Wednesday diet report, after vacation

I had our diet strategy all figured out for our weekend at Branson:  We'd eat whatever they served us on the showboat cruise, and the rest of the time I'd fix us healthy stuff in the camper.  It was a great plan, but somehow the vacation spirit took hold of me.

I guess we didn't do all that bad; the only other unhealthy thing we had while we were in Branson was blackberry cobbler with ice cream.  As soon as we were served, I realized we should have ordered just one serving, and split it.  But it was so delicious, I was secretly glad we didn't do that. 

Our other little pitfall presented itself because it seemed easier to fold the camper right after breakfast, rather than drive ten miles to Branson, then back for lunch, then load the camper.  "We'll grab something somewhere to eat," says I.

Well, once we headed home, wouldn't you know an Olive Garden presented itself, and we really backslid.  Oh, we split one meal between us, but that "Tour of Italy" is huge; so we had plenty.  AND we had the hot artichoke-spinach dip.  Yeah, and all the time I was eating, in my head, I kept hearing the old country song, "It don't feel like sinning to me."

Monday morning, we weighed as we do every day:  Cliff had gained six pounds, I'd gained four.  ACK!!!!

Well, I know enough about calories to realize you don't gain that much weight from two pig-out meals and a blackberry cobbler ala mode.  Cliff was beside himself, after having finally made some progress with his weight loss last week.  I explained to him that it takes 3,500 calories over one's maintanance calories to make a pound.  No way did we have more than 7,000 excess calories which would amount to two pounds gained.

Sure enough, today I am actually a half-pound less than last Wednesday.  I weigh 149 1/2.  Cliff is at 227 1/2, which is a gain from last week, but considering he weighed 231 Monday, I'd say it isn't bad.

Must be all the salt  in eat-out meals that made such a huge, overnight gain for both of us.  Or the fact that our entire digestive tracts were full, for a change.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had popcorn last night and  not much but I gained 1 and 1/2 lbs too... it is also very humid today but I'm not going to worry because I know it has to be salt and humidity.... right?  (I hope)
Sandra

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean....if we plan on going to the Olive Garden, I don't eat all day.  That plate is breakfast, lunch, and dinner all in one!  That cobbler sounds good!  You've got me wanting some now....

~Amy

Anonymous said...

good on the weight yeah.

Anonymous said...

Yep....that'l do it every time.

Anonymous said...

salt and the need to empty gut, yep yep yep, weight gain everytime!