Friday, June 2, 2006

Why?

Why is there so much salt in processed foods?  Especially tomatoes?  I've found I can cut the sodium in any recipe at least in half, if I buy "no-salt-added" tomato products... IE, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, etc.  Canned beans (kidney, garbanzo, pinto) are bad, too, and offer "no-salt-added" varieties.

And WHY is it so expensive to buy heart-healthy products?  I finally found (with the help of a friend) a heart-friendly peanut butter.  It's Smuckers Natural.  And it's expensive.

I've learned that any sort of pickles is heavy on the sodium.  Sausage?  Forget it.  In two patties, there's more than half the amount of sodium anybody ought to have in a day.  At least there's a lower-salt bacon, so Cliff can have his beloved bacon-and-egg-and-cheese sandwich once a week.

Things I'm thanful for?  Campbell's Healthy Request soups; Hunt's "no salt added" canned tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Things I wish for?  fast-food, low-sodium entrees.  And I DON'T mean a handful of salad.  Come on, McDonald's, Burger King, and Subway:  figure out a way to give us just a couple of low-fat, low-sodium items.  It isn't that hard.

Thank God my husband likes any kind of food when he's hungry, and that he is as intent on staying healthy as I am on keeping him healthy.  Believe me, we are getting our daily quota of fruits and veggies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you...it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg just to eat healthy stuff...

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Sausage is out of our diet. It has way too much fat in it.