Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Wednesday diet report

Well folks, are you ready for the big announcement?  This morning I weighed exactly 150!  Five more pounds to go, and I'll be at my goal.  Cliff has finally started knocking off a little weight himself now.  He's 225.

Oh, and I bought myself three pairs of sizeTEN shorts.  It's a funny thing about that, though.  I've weighed less than 145 before, and never got under a size 12.  The folks that market clothes seem to have changed the sizes over the years, probably because we women feel better if we're in a smaller size.  I know I've always worn Lee jeans rather than Levis because a 12 in Lees is equal to a 14 in Levis.  Not now, though.  I'm a Levis woman, except for horseback riding; then it's Wranglers.

Here's one of mine and Cliff's favorite quick and easy recipes.  I buy the no-salt-added black beans, but so far I haven't found Ro-tel tomatoes with no salt.

SPICY BLACK BEANS AND RICE

1/2 cup chopped onion

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained (and rinsed, if they're the salt-added kind)

1 14-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes

1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

2 cups hot cooked brown or long-grain rice

1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)

1.  In a medium saucepan cook the 1/2 cup onion and garlic in hot oil till tender but not brown.  Carefully stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, and ground red pepper.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

2.  To serve, mound rice on plate; make a well in each mound.  Spoon the black bean mixture into wells.  If desired, sprinkle with the 1/4 cup chopped onion.  Makes 4 servings.

280 calories, 8 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 cholesterol, 620 sodium (less if you use no-salt beans), 47 g carbo., 7 g fiber, 11 g protein.  12% iron

This is from a 1996 Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.  I've said it before, but it bears repeating:  all the more recent editions of Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks have lots of low-fat recipes, and list nutrients.  

My knock-knees, which are the main reason my knees are bad, sure do show up when I wear shorts, but at least I'm comfortable. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WooHoo!  WTG, Donna!  (and Cliff doesn't look silly in shorts....lol....he just needs to wear them more often to tan his legs...)

You guys look great!

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weight only 5 more lbs to go!!!!
Terrie

Anonymous said...

WTG!!!

I agaree I think they are making the sizes bigger.

Anonymous said...

your both looking just great.... I agree with you about the clothes ~ the sizes seem to have changed through out the years..... I never remember seeing a size 2 for instance.... smallest I saw in the years back seems to have been a 7. I never did wear a 7 though did you?  so far I have lost 12#s and am on my way.... It seems to be going slower now but its still coming off.... Sandra