Tuesday, July 18, 2006

after our vacation

I'll wait until tomorrow to post our weights:  let's just say the news is good.  We ate fruit as our snacks, all the way across Colorado, along with the 100-Calorie Packages of snacks by Nabisco, which are true life-savers for Cliff.  Most of their salty varieties are higher in sodium than I'd like; but Frito-Lay has brought out 100-calorie packs of lower-sodium Cheetos that aren't bad.  No trans-fat in any of them.  I'm still waiting for someone to get the trans-fat out of vanilla wafers.

We consumed two cantaloupes, pounds of grapes, a half-dozen apples, and probably twenty bananas during our week in Colorado.  I'm especially happy about the bananas, because I just read an article at HeartCenter Online about how potassium somehow balances sodium levels.  We always take along individual fruit cups (in its own juice) and individual cups of applesauce (unsweetened for me, but Cliff likes some sugar in his).  Oh, and we munched on carrot sticks, bell peppers and celery a lot.

One thing I read on HeartCenter that I didn't like:  temperature and humidity have a definate relationship to heart attacks.

Anyway, we're consuming massive amounts of fruit around here, and loving every bite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Knowing that, it's confusing that so many older folks migrate down to Florida....  eesh...

I've been conflicted over buying the 100 calorie packs....but since I know someone who says they're good, I'll pick some up..  :)

~Amy