Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I love 'em!

Ritz has come out with a lower-sodium cracker.  I mean, REALLY lower sodium!  Once you start de-salting your diet and have gotten used to it, you'll thank heaven for these babies.

When I put some of my Smuckers non-hydrogenated, natural peanut butter on a Ritz, I'm in heaven.  Of course, you have to limit yourself.  That's the hard part.  I see on their website they also have a no-salt-added variety, but I have yet to find that in my store.

Natural peanut butter simplY has no additives to keep it from seperating, so when it seperates it will have have oil on the top; then you have to stir it.  The simple solution is to keep it in the refrigerator, where it won't seperate at all.  I figured that would make it hard to spread, but it doesn't.

Why avoid hydrogenated foods?  Transfats!  Read this, from the American Heart Association. 

HYDROGENATED FATS

AHA Recommendation

The American Heart Association urges you to read the labels before buying an oil or margarine. We recommend that consumers choose spreads that have liquid vegetable oil as the first ingredient and no more than 2 grams of saturated fat per tablespoon. The fat content of most margarines and spreads is printed on the package or label.

Select liquid and soft tub margarines are low in both saturated fats and trans fats (some are trans-free). These are preferable.

Trans fats result from hydrogenation. They increase total and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, which increases fatty buildups in arteries and raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.

Right now trans fats are included in the saturated fat category on food labels. As of Jan. 1, 2006, trans fats must be listed separately. Many food manufacturers have already begun labeling their products for trans fats and more are likely to do so.

I have a  feeling that, as people become aware of what foods are bad for them, and read the labels, trans fats will begin disappearing from many processed foods.  I can only hope.

No comments: